Mixed media butterflies
I took a break from painting during the holidays, 1) because I needed a break, and 2) because I had to restock inks and wait for them to arrive. I had some ideas about mixing printmaking with alcohol ink painting, though…and when the new inks arrived, I had to try it out.
Because Yupo is synthetic and non-porous, ink sits on top of the paper and is not absorbed. I did test prints on both Yupo and more traditional block printing paper to see the difference. Though the linocut print on Yupo seemed raised and pitted, maybe even a little jagged – I liked it. Or maybe I liked it because I was determined to make this experiment work, whether it actually did or not!
Anyway, here are a few of the results. It was a rather lengthy and intense process, and I plan on documenting it here for any alcohol inkers who are interested in trying it (or for printmakers who may be interested in playing with alcohol inks.) I haven’t decided yet if I want to do a limited edition or keep it open. I am not a very experienced printmaker; thus I am unsure of how many prints I could pull from this one plate before it peters out. I used a Speedball mounted linoleum block.
Note: because the printmaking ink is sort of “raised” on the Yupo paper, these did not scan very well. They are much more vivid and detailed in person. Since I will not be making prints – of prints – I felt there was no need to try and scan or photograph at a better quality than this. I’m simply documenting a process and sharing it with those who may be interested. I’m also full of disclaimers today! 😉